Time and relationships. These are the only things life offers that are truly yours. Birthdays provide a unique opportunity to tie both together — with a bow! Meaningful birthday gift ideas are timeless and personal. They touch the celebrant’s heart and never fade away.
But what do such sentiments cost?
Only time — and your loved one’s address book. The gift I’m describing is a show-stopper. And the best part is, you get to sit back and watch it all happen.
THE BIRTHDAY BIG PICTURE
Get ready to deliver the best present ever! And like all worthwhile things, this will take some planning. Rather than rushing at the end, set the wheels in motion a month or more in advance.
With the plan I’m suggesting, you’re just the instigator. It’s time to get others in on the heist. Without further adieu, here are some basic steps for creating a meaningful birthday gift:
- Get the birthday star’s friends and family in on it. These are people who love him and are loved by him (or her!). Think way back, and compile a list of names. I did this for my husband’s 40th birthday and it was a huge hit. Even childhood friends are significant if they’re still in touch. Make the list, and then get ready to snag those addresses — as sneakily as possible.🤫
- Curate these contacts without suspicion. Your loved one may think something is up, but the less he or she knows the better. Perhaps you’re updating your emergency contacts or Christmas card list?
- Text, call or email your partners-in-crime with this simple request: provide a paragraph on what you appreciate, respect or admire about the birthday celebrant. Submissions can be handwritten and mailed to you, emailed or texted. Though pen, paper and snail mail take longer, having these treasures in the giver’s scrawl makes them more personal.
- Give participants a deadline at least a week before you need their contribution — to allow for stragglers.
- Sit back and let this meaningful birthday gift take shape.
Now you’ve got time to ponder the presentation.
YOUR MEANINGFUL BIRTHDAY GIFT — THE PRESENTATION
Will you paste these paragraphs of praise into a special journal sprinkled with rainbow-colored candy confetti?
Or, maybe you’ll hand it to them in a file folder. That’s what I did, and my husband loved it. He’s a “no frills” kind of guy.😆
Consider the recipient and create a presentation they’ll appreciate. The ladies often like albums and journals, so have fun shopping for the perfect present. I’ve curated a few resources to help with your presentation.
From a simple file folder to a scrapbook highlighted with photos and keepsakes, this gift’s wrapping allows your creativity to shine. Perhaps you ask some of your contributors for ideas.
Creating this “Birthday Journal” expresses thanksgiving in a way similar to the Gratitude Journal. The only difference is the focus.
LOOKING FOR SIMPLE AND CLASSIC?
The journal displayed above is beautiful. Available on Amazon, this superb quality leather feels lovely to the sense of touch. Click the pic for more information. With a book this packed with pages, the birthday recipient can fill it up with personal journaling , meaningful photos or keepsakes.
LOOKING FOR WHIMSICAL AND FEMININE?
This journal (again with plain, unlined pages) provides a canvas that’s just as elegant as the previous one — yet with a feminine touch. A delicately embossed heart fills the leather cover with warmth and charm. Click the image to learn more and explore other journal or scrapbook options.
Please note the sizing specs. Since you’ll be pasting written letters into this book, you don’t want something too small. This particular leather bound book comes in 7×5 and 8×6. I suggest going for the larger sizes.
Whatever you choose for a backdrop, remember that substance is what truly matters — the words of blessing and praise from family and friends. However you receive these, try to make their presentation as personal in appearance as possible. To do so you may want to:
- Trim margins and glue handwritten letters into the book (remind writers to use only one side of the page);
- Copy texts and emails, transcribe them with scripted fonts, and print these onto quality paper. Add whimsical accents, stickers or anything reminiscent of that relationship;
- Paste photos or paper keepsakes among the writings. Draw some doodles that capture the recipient’s personality or hobbies. You don’t have to be a gifted artist. In fact, the sillier the sketch, the funnier (and more endearing) it becomes.
Ahem. Like this makes a great background if your friend likes pizza, burgers and fries! Yum!😋
WRAPPING YOUR MEANINGFUL BIRTHDAY GIFT
There needn’t be any fanfare when you give it — or you can fill your house with guests and sing the birthday song before unveiling this treasure.🥳
Either way, your birthday boy or girl will receive a time capsule of sorts, written with love from the hearts of those who matter most.❤️
Done well, this book captures the simplicity and significance of moment by moment living. It is a written celebration of time’s passage in the embrace of life’s most precious people.
I hope this blog gave you some ideas for that next milestone birthday celebration! I’d love to hear your thoughts and creative inspiration surrounding this theme of meaningful birthday gift ideas. — Blessings, Ali 😊